Burgess Pet Care is delighted to announce that the Burgess Excel Vet Awards will return for a third year running, to celebrate the dedication and hard work of rabbit-friendly practices, vets and nurses who work year-round to improve the lives of domestic rabbits and guinea pigs in the UK.
Working in partnership with the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF), the awards are free to enter and open to practising veterinary professionals in the UK who can demonstrate the exceptional levels of care and professional advice they provide to rabbits, guinea pigs and their owners.
The Awards categories for 2022 are as follows:
- Rabbit Vet of the Year open to registered veterinary surgeon practicing in the UK
- Rabbit Vet Nurse of the Year open to registered veterinary nurse practicing in the UK
- Rabbit Support Staff of the Year open to staff who are currently working in a registered practice in the UK
- Rabbit Practice of the Year open to practices in the UK who are members of the RWAF and currently hold RWAF silver or gold accreditation as a rabbit friendly practice
- Rabbit Student of the Year open to students studying in the UK for a veterinary or animal nutrition related degree
- Rabbit Friendly Charity Practice of the Year open to UK-based practices
- Guinea Pig Friendly Practice of the Year open to practices registered in the UK
- Rabbit Awareness Week (RAW) Campaign of the Year open to any UK-based practice or individual
Dr Sophie Jenkins, winner of the 2020 Burgess Excel Rabbit Vet of the Year award, has joined the Awards’ judging panel, which features a selection of industry experts, veterinary professionals and rabbit specialists, and comprises:
- Dr Suzanne Moyes, MVB, MRCVS, veterinary director at Burgess Pet Care and spokesperson for the Rabbit Awareness Action Group (RAAG) and RAW
- Rae Walters, director of the RWAF
- John Chitty, BVetMed, CertZooMed, MRCVS, co-director of a small animals/exotics practice in Andover and outgoing president of the British Small Animal Veterinary Association 2017-2018
- Dani Sewell, MICPR, communications director at Fred Marketing, a full-service marketing agency specialising in the pet/animal welfare sector and delivering strategic communications for RAAG and RAW
- Dr Sophie Jenkins, BVetMed, PgCEAS, GPExAP, MRCVS, RCVS, advanced practitioner in zoological medicine, founder of Origins Vets, Cardiff
The panel will look for evidence of outstanding knowledge of rabbit care and husbandry, as well as continued commitment to educating the public on how to care for rabbits correctly. The same criteria will apply when choosing a winner for Guinea Pig-friendly Practice of the Year.
Dr Suzanne Moyes said: “As a key source of trusted information for many rabbit and guinea pig owners, veterinary practices continue to play a vital role in engaging with – and helping – them understand the complex and high levels of care and attention that these amazing animals need. It has been wonderful to read the previous awards entries over the past two years and really encouraging that so many veterinary professionals are going above and beyond for these fantastic creatures.
“We are looking forward to receiving this year’s entries, although we know we will face a difficult job in choosing the worthy winners!”
Rae Walters, Director at RWAF, added: “We’re absolutely delighted to continue to support these important awards, which champion vet practices and individuals who work tirelessly to provide the highest standards of care for rabbits and guinea pigs.”
Nominations for the Burgess Excel Vet Awards open on 8 August 2022 and the winners will be announced at the London Vet Show 2022.
One winner from each category will receive a trophy and cash prize of £250.
Award nominations can be made via the nomination form on the Excel Vet Awards website or by completing a nomination form and returning it via post. Self-nominations may also be made. Further information is available on the Vet Awards website.